Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory
~Ephesians 3:20

Monday, March 30, 2009

Is it the wise thing to do...

"Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is." Ephesians 5:15-17

It all started out this morning with me being unmotivated to do anything after I was done reading my morning devotions. So I continued to sit on the couch but I grabbed my ipod touch and began to play with it. I knew I wanted to get some podcasts so I started looking through some and I came across Andy Stanley. I remember one of my friends dad mentioning that he really liked him so I figured I'd give him a try. Turns out I really like him.

The podcast I downloaded was part of a series titled "Defining Moments: The Best Question Ever"; however, the specific one was "What to do when you come face-to-face with the truth". I was curious to see what Andy Stanley said was the "best question ever" so I began to listen. The question he came up with has three different points:
Is it the wise thing to do...
1. in light of my past experience,
2. in light of my current situation,
3. in light of my hopes, dreams, future, etc.

I cannot say whether this is the best question ever but I do feel that it is definitely at the top in the list. I say that because this question can be asked by anyone in any situation and it will keep you in check on whether it should be done.

Throughout life some people may experience the same thing but at different times, so we try to give them the best advice. I look at this and dig a little deeper because what one might think is a wise choice for them might not be a wise choice for someone else. I say this because each person has their own past events which have shaped them and their own hopes, dreams, and future which they strive for. Everyone is different. Yes, it is great to offer wise advice and share our own personal experiences so someone else does not go through what you did. But you must also realize each person needs to do what is best for themselves.

A question that gets asked quite a bit is "how far is too far?" Andy Stanley said his response is usually 6 or 7 miles is too far (and yes I laughed and agree with him :) However, the Bible does not specifically say this is too far or that is too far, but what is wise. The key thing is not to set yourself up for failure. Each person needs to know their own situation what they want to get out of it and understand what the Lord's will is for them.

I really enjoyed this podcast because it definitely made me take a step deeper into answering my questions. I will admit sometimes I do not think about how a decision has effected my past or will effect my future. So to finish this off, I challenge myself and others to ask ourselves "is it the wise thing to do" and have others to keep you in check living wisely and not foolishly.

Don't rob yourself of your hopes and dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment