Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory
~Ephesians 3:20

Monday, March 16, 2009

Not "Good Enough"

Have you ever thought you were not good enough or what you had to say was not good enough? Yes, I have thought this.

I was sitting talking with one of my friends about my testimony and I told her that I think I have never really said it because I did not think it was "good enough" or that exciting. I can not say that there has been a huge event in my life that really has changed how I think or feel all of a sudden to rely more on God. And I am not saying that it is not a bad thing that one has not happened to draw me closer to God and I should be thankful for it which I am. I just look at a few of my friends lives who are 110% about Him and they mention something(s) big that God has done for them.

One example is a friend who was told by the doctor that she would never see again; however, she is able to see beautiful things with her eyes. Another friend lost her husband at a young age and God gave her joy and peace to know that every thing will be alright. A few years back a friend struggled with an eating disorder, where now she has no problem with it because God gave her the strength to get through it. And I am sure a have other friends who have had crazy things happen to them which has drawn them closer to God.

After talking to my friend about how I feel my testimony is boring and not very strong, she told me a story which brought things into perspective for me. A quick summary of the story is: Two brothers have been searching for God and what he has to say to them. Brother #1 was praying that God would speak to him. While he was scuba diving, he found a conch shell which he said represented something big God was telling him. Brother #2 was amazed that his brother found this and he prayed that God would tell him something for his life. Brother #2 went scuba diving thinking he could find a conch shell then he would know that God was telling him something big. Instead, when brother #2 went scuba diving he was not able to find a conch shell and found a bunch of little shells together. This showed brother #2 that sometimes God tells or shows us things in small pieces instead of one big bang.

My friend proceeded to explain that sometimes God will show Himself in big ways, like the conch shell, so a person knows what God wants them to do with their life. But, also, God shows Himself in small pieces like the little shells. For how much I think I would like to be shown God in a big way, I am grateful for what he has shown me. After hearing this story, it helped me realize that God presents stuff in numerous ways and it is not always the same for each person. And just because you do not think what you have to say about your testimony is "good enough" does not mean that you should not share it. You have no idea who your testimony might reach out to so do not be scared to share.

1 comment:

  1. :) I love when you unpack things in your head :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete